Sunday, December 7, 2008




Going to see the lights on Temple Square has been a tradition for as long as I can remember.  My Dad loved traditions and even though he is not here, we continue to pass these traditions down to our children.  I remember when I was very young piling into the family station wagon and heading to Salt Lake from Orem.  It was snowing.  We went to see the lights on Temple Square,then we went to Tampico (a mexican restaurant) for dinner.  On the way home I remember we had a flat tire.  My Dad got out on the freeway and changed the tire in the snow, but the following year we piled in the station wagon once again.  Tradition is tradition.  I have always loved Christmas, not for the gifts, but for the spirit of the season.  This I learned from my Dad.  Presents are nice, but the true meaning of Christmas means so much more!

On our way home from seeing the lights last night, I thought how nice it was to be warm after being outside.  It made me think of those who don't have a warm car, or a warm house to go to.  They said that the homeless population is at 110% this year because of the economy.  This year I am not taking anything for granted, I am so grateful for the things that I do have.  Christmas shouldn't be about the presents but about the true meaning of Christmas.  A child, born in a stable who gave his life for mankind.  I am so grateful for this gift to me, and the people that I love.   May we all remember what Christmas is truly all about.

2 comments:

Vicky said...

We haven't been there for such a long time, we need to do it! You are so right, we are so blessed!

Lindsay said...

Merry Christmas!! I am so thankful for you and your always sunny perspective! I love ya!